IR Global Rising Stars
1. A Rising Star of 2021
We are delighted to announce that IR Global has featured our partner, Chooi Jing Yen, as their rising star for 2021. Eugene Thuraisingam LLP is also IR Global’s exclusive white-collar crime advisor in Singapore since November 2020.
2. The IR Global Rising Stars Programme
The Programme highlights outstanding individuals in boutique and medium sized professional services firms. These rising stars have been identified as the next generation of leaders in the global professional services community.
3. Chooi Jing Yen’s profile
Selection of significant matters:-
- White collar investigations: Advised clients investigated by the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) of the Singapore Police Force following the alleged criminal breach of trust of SGD 33 million by a former managing partner of a Singapore law firm.
- SIAC arbitration involving a dispute over legal fees: A novel dispute engaging the question of whether a dispute over legal fees charged to a Singapore entity by a foreign law practice was arbitrable on the ground of public policy, or should be sent for taxation in the Singapore High Court.
- SIAC involving a construction project: A US$6m cross-border arbitration involving the jurisdictions of Singapore and Myanmar. At issue was whether the agreements in question were in any way varied by new policies introduced by a change in government in Myanmar, and whether an implied term under Singapore law was consequently introduced into these agreements.
- Jay Machinery Pte. Ltd. v C T Environmental Services Pte. Ltd. & Another  SGDC 246: Discharged a Mareva injunction on the basis that the opposing party had not produced solid evidence that there was a real risk that our client was about to dissipate $2.9m worth of assets. The opposing party’s appeal to the High Court was dismissed.
- Public Prosecutor v Low Ji Qing  SGHC 174: Defended an appeal brought by the prosecution against a sentence of 10 months’ imprisonment meted out to a repeat theft offender suffering from Fetishism. The judgment written by the Honourable Chief Justice grapples with the principles of proportionality and specific deterrence and is now an important part of the jurisprudence on criminal sentencing. Media coverage: Chief Justice dismisses appeal for higher sentence for man with fetish for stealing women’s wallets
His complete profile can be found here.